Houseplants to Avoid When You Have a Dog | Healthybud Blog
Back to the home page

Houseplants to Avoid When You Have a Dog

The Healthybud Team

The Healthybud Team Fri Nov 06 2020

2 min read
Dog with plant in background pet parenting

Today more than ever, with the new #wfh lifestyle, having houseplants is a great way to cozy up your home and make it feel like your own oasis. But when you live with pets, it’s important to be cautious when choosing which ones to keep far away from your furry friend. 

The list of plants are very common houseplants that also happen to be toxic for dogs if consumed:

Aloe Vera

Aloe Vera Plant

A common plant because of its air purification and healing properties. Ingesting this plant can cause vomiting, diarrhea and tremors in both dogs and cats.

Pothos (Devil’s Ivy)

Pothos Plant

A common plant because it has low-light needs and it is a low maintenance houseplant. Ingesting this plant can cause oral irritation, pain and swelling of mouth, tongue and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing.

Snake Plants

Snake Plant

A common plant as it's readily available (sold at Ikea) and is almost unaffected by over/under watering. Ingesting this plant can cause gastrointestinal upset in pets.

Jade Plant

Jade Plant

Ingesting a Jade Plant can cause vomiting, a decreased heart rate, and even depression.

Philodendron

Philodendron Plant

A very common plant due to its low maintenance care needs and is a beautiful houseplant. Ingesting this plant can cause oral irritation, excessive drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing.

Dumb Cane

Dumb Cane Plant

Ingesting this plant can cause oral irritation, intense burning, and irritation of mouth, tongue and lips, excessive drooling, difficulty swallowing, and vomiting.

Dracaena (Corn Plant)

Corn Plant

Commonly sold at Ikea, the Dracaena has become a very popular houseplant, giving the room a tropical feel. Ingesting it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, drooling, loss of appetite, and depression.

Asparagus Fern (Emerald Fern, Emerald Feather, Lace Fern)

Asparagus Plant

The Asparagus Fern plant contains a toxin called Sapogenin and if the berries are ingested it can lead to diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and inflammation of the skin.

Helpful tip

If you believe that your pet has ingested any of these or other toxic houseplants, contact your vet immediately!

share this post

The Healthybud Team

Meet The Healthybud Team

The #healthygang

As new pet parents, we were overwhelmed by the amount of conflicting opinions surrounding pet health, and we figured we surely weren't alone. So we decided to take matters into our own hands, do the research ourselves, onboarded an incredible team of vets, and launched the healthybud platform to help pet parents like us 🐾 We're so excited to bring you as much relevant, current pet care and pet parenting information as possible!

more from the bud blog

Want to get notified about our weekly posts? Sign up for our newsletter below